(519) 835-2436
 
 
(519) 835-2436
 

9. Safety Tips for Operating Your Gas Fireplace

9. Safety Tips for Operating Your Gas Fireplace

  • If your fireplace is installed in a home during construction or renovation, do not operate it until the area is thoroughly cleaned. Drywall dust and other contaminants can harm the fan, motors and burners.
  • Check the manufacturer's instructions before adding or modifying a mantle or surround (minimum clearances are required).
  • Have your fireplace inspected before its initial use – and continue to have it serviced on a regular basis.
  • Carefully read the manufacturer's instructions before operating the fireplace for the first time.
  • Keep combustibles away from hot surfaces during operation.
  • If the pilot light or flame goes out, wait five minutes or longer (see the manufacturer's instructions) before attempting to relight the fireplace. This allows time to clear the fireplace of gas and is particularly important with direct-vent models.
  • Be alert for unusual odours or flames, which are often a sign that the fireplace is not operating properly. In such cases, contact your dealer for servicing. Contact the gas company if you smell gas.
  • Make sure that air-circulating passageways and fans are kept clean and free from obstruction.
  • Wait for the unit to cool completely before wiping the glass with a damp cloth (otherwise, you can cause thermal stress and breakage).
  • If the glass breaks, have a qualified service technician replace it with glass supplied by the manufacturer.
  • With sidewall-exhausting, direct-vent units, keep the external vent clear of debris and snow at all times, and maintain the manufacturer's minimum clearances between the vent and fences, shrubs and walkways, etc.
  • If you do not have a sealed direct-vent fireplace, consider installing a carbon monoxide detector near the fireplace. These devices continually monitor the air for carbon monoxide and sound an alarm when high levels are detected, just as a smoke detector will signal the possible existence of a fire (all Canadian homes should already be properly equipped with smoke detectors). If your carbon monoxide detector goes off, open the windows, shut the fireplace off and leave the house immediately. If anyone experiences headaches, extreme lethargy or nausea during such an occurrence, he or she should immediately seek medical treatment. It is also critical that you determine the source and cause of the high carbon monoxide levels and have the situation remedied by a professional.

Previous

 Contents

 Next

Source: Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) - Office of Energy Efficiency

24/7    Emergency Service  •  (519) 835-2436  •  or  •  Fill Out Our Online Form
24 Hour Emergency Service
(519) 835-2436
Fill Out Our Online Form
 
Contact Information
 
Address:     296 Colonial Dr.
Guelph, ON N1L0G4
Phone:       (519) 835-2436
Schedule an Appointment
Connect With Us
 
Contact Information
 
Address:     296 Colonial Dr.
Guelph, ON N1L0G4
Phone:       (519) 835-2436
Schedule an Appointment
Connect With Us
 

Payment Options
Payment Options
 
For Water Heater in Guelph ON, we accept most major credit cards.
 
Find out ways to save energy and money with AIDO Climate Solutions, Inc. Boiler repair service in Guelph ON
Leave the maintenance stress to our technicians on your next Water Heater service in Erin ON
 
*We accept all major credit cards,
cash, and personal checks.
Financing Options
Ask a Technician
Home   |   Email Us   |   Schedule Service   |   Get a Quote   |   Maintenance   |   Guarantees   |   Employment   |   Reviews   |   Search Site
Home   |   Email Us   |   Schedule Service
Get a Quote   |   Maintenance   |   Guarantees
Employment   |   Reviews   |   Search Site